Last updated: 25th April 2017
- 1 Best Router Table Recommendations 2017
- 2 Best Router Table – Our Top Picks
- 2.1 #1 Bosch RA1181 Benchtop Router Table
- 2.2 #2 Kreg PRS2100 Bench Top Router Table
- 2.3 #3 SKIL RAS900 Router Table
- 2.4 #4 Bench Dog Tools 40-102 ProMax Cast Iron Router Table Extension
- 2.5 #5 MLCS 2394 Extension Router Table Top & Fence with Universal Router Plate
- 2.6 #6 Grizzly T10222 Router Extension for Table Saw
- 2.7 #7 Dremel 231 Shaper/Router Table
- 2.8 #8 Bosch RA1171 Cabinet Style Router Table
- 2.9 #9 Craftsman Router and Router Table Combo
- 3 Router Table Comparison Guide 2017
When buying a quality router table, one must look for sturdiness along with maximum workpiece control during wood crafting. This enables a professional to gain extra control on routing operations and allows for hands-free precision in carving or slicing the appropriate length with zero irregularities on the workpiece. Below are some of the best top router tables for various individual necessities.
Best Router Table Recommendations 2017
If you are are still not sure about which is the perfect router table model available out there, refer to following section where we have reviewed top 9 router tables available in the market. These test results are based upon various tests that we have carried out in our labs.
Best Router Table – Our Top Picks
Here are the best router tables reviewed by Firstwoodworker’s expert team. Let’s take a look at individual router table model.
The RA1181’s surface is designed to be extremely flat to reduce friction. It also offers a large working surface with an aluminum router plate, the Ra1181 is designed to be used on job sites or for workshops. The main aluminum table 27” in length, 18” wide and 14.5 inches in height. It’s as close as it gets to a large scale model and is optimum for professional projects. The fence is fully adjustable and is attached with an aluminum extrusion that is 25” long. The dust collection system can be further fitted with a 2 ½ hose. The total weight of the unit is around 34 lbs. The functional multi-purpose router table comes with a 15-amp switch that is fully protected from power overload. The mounted plate made of aluminum is pre-drilled. This allows for precision cuts without any abrupt interruptions. Feather boards are well-designed and offer usability by holding the stock up to the tool’s surface accurately.
- The RA1181 comes with a built-in cord wrap, for easy portability while providing no hassles when storing.
- The 8 adjustment screws allow you to mount the plate perfectly without any problems.
- Installation time is less than 30 minutes.
- The drawback with this router table is the plastic lever that acts as the power switch.
- With a little mishandling, it can easily break off and can hinder the functionality of the switch.
The stable router table offers a rather large MDF table top for adequate workspace. It’s conveniently more silent than other router tables launched in the market. This industrial-grade router table works great with big routers. The Easy-Slide surface with an extra-large MDF table top measures 16” x 24” in dimensions. Comes with 3 Level-Loc rings including standard and a set of 5 can be purchased if needed. The router table is a rather light model weighing just 28.9 lbs. Detailed work required by a professional can be executed with this durable router table due to its wide stand made of heavy-duty steel and rubber legs. This enables a professional to continue working without any vibrational interference. Open design allows less router noise to penetrate surroundings.
- Three Level-Loc rings allow for any router size to be locked in comfortably.
- The guard clamps allow for intricate locking.
- Quick adjustments can be made without having to disassemble every tool.
- Large workspace ensures more projects can be simultaneously covered.
- Durability is the weakest link of this model.
- With plastic flip-down tabs, it’s prone to damage.
- The loose tabs require some amount of tightening with screws to hold them in place.
The RAS900 is a solid durable router table with trackers for the miter gauge. Feather boards are provided for precision and accuracy. The product comes in dimensions of 27 x 17 x 9.5 inches and weighs in at a total of 32 lbs. Comes with 2 containers and has a quick clamp system for a better routing on sharpened edges. Bit height gauge helps in improving the precision of cuts. The RAS900 comes with two feather boards for optimum calculated precision which the professional can enjoy. The starter pins and guard aids in providing superior support for the work tool in delivering accurate and clear-cut diminution.
- Fence panels are removable and can be readjusted as per your convenience.
- The foldable legs allow for convenient storage options.
- The four leg positions can be screwed in tightly to provide rigidity.
- The track on the miter gauge can be moved vertically or horizontally for total control.
- The fence settings on the table are for reference purposes and not accurate to the point.
- This could bother quite a few customers.
- The screws require proper tightening or the plate could get a bit loose after continuous usage.
The 40-102 is a router table where the sturdy MDF top can be adjusted without the use of any tools. The fence is made of pure aluminum to give it a flat surface top for optimum working conditions. The 40-102 measures 32.2 by 21.7 by 5.1 inches in size which is great for shops or industrial zones. It weighs a total 60 lbs. The cabinet grade table saws that can fit this unit should be around 27 by 1 ½ inches, which is depth and thickness. The 40-102 comes with dual slot fences that allow a professional to choose to work on two different sides for a larger project. Fences can be easily disassembled and mounted on J-hooks. The fence is also designed to provide accurate cuts for all the woodwork. Space is marginally lesser than what other models require.
- The router table allows all grade table saws to easily fit in.
- It comes with an additional miter slot specialized for crosscut sleds.
- Feather boards can be easily mounted on the T-slot which is around ¼ of an inch.
- The unit is quite heavy and may require additional assistance for mounting purposes, either with the help of a jack stand or an individual.
- Does not come with a router mounting plate.
The MLCS 2394 is a router table that allows a lot of surface space for remodeling, cutting, and sharpening objects. The 2394 comes in with a size of 29.5 x 24.8 x 7 inches of total dimensions. The item weight is around 38 lbs. A wood frame measuring 1-1/8″ x 2-1/4″ below helps mount the table saw rails. The tabletop is made of melamine surface with a durable MDF base and polyethylene edges. The model comes with a high split fence for edge routing for a much safer vertical routing. It also comes with a dust hood for collecting all the sawdust from woodworking. The safety guard is made out of plastic and is quite durable in nature.
- The fence slides smoothly for a quick lock in attachment to the unit.
- The phenolic plate comes with concentrated rings to help center the router optimally.
- The aluminum plate is perfectly aligned with indentions to allow easy installation of all kinds of routers.
- Base plate included is of inferior quality and might trouble a few minds.
- The insert ring is quite loose as compared to other router tables.
A well-designed router table that is convenient for placement of a cabinet table saw. Effortless installation ensures your table saw gets the best functionality through the router extension table. The total unit size of this model is approximately 30 x 28 x 6 inches in dimensions. The unit weighs close to 69.4 lbs. The device can be delivered throughout the globe. The unit has the ability to mount to most table saws with a measured depth of 27 inches. The surface top of the T10222 is extremely sturdy to perform most professional tasks. There is absolutely no vibration felt while cutting ensuring precision is maintained. The wing is longer than most router table wings and offers immense support during productivity.
- The universal router mount includes an anodized fence that allows for straight routing.
- It also comes with a starting pin for contour shaping.
- Two aluminum handles offer utmost support, while double cross T-slots are provided as well.
- The universal mounting base might not fit all router units.
- This could affect functionality quite a bit if you are a professional looking to get the most out of a router table.
A simple router table that utilizes high speed and low torque operation method to drill or shave materials. With a great adjustable mechanism, the Dremel 231 is a compact router table. The product size is around 10.1 x 8.5 x 7.2 inches in dimensions. It weighs a measly 2.1 lbs. in total. The work table surface is approximately 8 x 6 inches. The unit comes with an adjustable fence. Also comes with an instruction sheet. The main features of the Dremel 231 are its ability to carve and groove beautifully designed edges. It also offers trimming and sanding possibilities to the user when it comes to softwood. It attaches directly to the workbench with just clamps to lock in.
- The 231 allows a host of attachments to be plugged in that have to be bought separately.
- The router table is robust and solid in build design. Efficient in making dadoes within woodwork.
- The three holes in the fence platform along with the curved slot for the fence bolt can make for counter-intuitive angles while adjusting the fence.
- This is a major drawback.
The RA1171 provides the user with versatile wood surface and comes with 2 adjustable feather boards that are attachable to the fence and table for accurate wood crafting. The unit comes in a size of 4.8 x 27 x 24.2 inches and weighs 45 lbs. The item is also available for a global audience. Assembly time takes less than 15 minutes due to its compact size. The standout feature of the RA1171 is the cabinet design that allows for optimum dust collection. The MDF face plates allow the unit to be used for optimum support and smooth operation. The sturdy aluminum plate prevents any interference during work to obtain precision and accuracy in all workpieces.
- For removal of debris and sawdust, there are 2 convenient locations of dust ports.
- The accessory slot can be used to add addition feather boards if needed.
- Option accessories such as miter gauge can also be mounted.
- Quite a small surface area when compared to other models, leaves users requiring more working space.
- Although, if you are a beginner, it should suffice.
A basic router table that comes with its own router in the package. Convenient for beginners and those looking to learn the wood crafting ways. The 9.5-amp router that comes with the router table has a 1-3/4HP motor that runs at a pace of 27,000 RPMs. With 334 square inches of space on the surface top, it is made out of thick laminate. Three insert rings are provided with diameters ranging from 1-1/4″, 1-1/2″, and 1-3/4″, respectively. The router table comes with a double power strip outlet that also has a safety lock feature. The infeed and outfeed of the fence adjusts for proper dust collection. The miter gauge adjusts up to 60 degrees in both directions if required by the user.
- The router table is great for light load and non-heavy workpieces.
- As a beginner, you are exposed to an entry level router with the package that allows you to try your hand at woodworking and get a hang before getting a more professional table.
- Not the best investment if you are a professional due to the minimal usage and design.
- When compared to other designs in the market or on this list, the table quality is clearly inferior.
- Good for beginners only.
Router Table Comparison Guide 2017
We have compared almost 36+ different models of router tables and here are our top recommended router table models for you:
27 x 18 x 14.5 inches
35.9 x 19.7 x 7.7 inches
27.7 x 17.7 x 9.5 inches
32.2 x 21.7 x 5.1 inches
29.5 x 24.8 x 7 inches
30 x 28 x 6 inches
10 x 8 x 7 inches
4.8 x 27 x 24.2 inches
26.3 x 15.9 x 14.7 inches
Ultimate Guide to Buying a Router Table
Purchasing a router table is no easy task, you have to first decide on the location where the majority of your workspace is to be intended, workshop or industrial. Next, you have to choose the required surface working area and additional features that you may require from a router table.
Critical areas that require your attention are choosing a rigid and flat base plate to neutralize any vibrations. A milter slot is necessary for securing feather boards and other accessories. An accurate fence is also vital for dedicated and detailed workmanship. Finally, a strong and sturdy base is required to complete the setup.
Selecting your router table based on your usage is integral such as:
Benchtop Router Tables
These benchtops offer precision as well as portability and durability. Its adaptability and versatile nature make it a favorite for both professionals and beginners to experiment with a variety of routers.
Router Tables with Extensions
Ideal for industrial environments or for those looking for extra working space. Extend your talent with a large working space with a router table that has an extension surface. T-track slots, T-slot, split fence, etc. can all be comfortably allocated on a table such as this.
Compact Router Tables
Convenience is the key for compact router tables. Those new to wood crafting or looking to invest in an economical yet feature-rich router table can find great joy in choosing a compact router table.
Choosing the right router table will allow you to maximize work output as well as not worry about space issues. You cannot choose a large table for a home or have a compact table for industrial use.
The factors that aid you in choosing the ideal router table for your needs are listed below, they are listed based on usability, necessary options for optimum work operations, ease of installation, usage, etc.
Also Read: Skil Ras 900 Router Table Review
A router table must be carefully assessed for measurements and other required fields such as premium workspace for woodworking and routing. Information on the size of your fence, the width of the table top, the room space it needs are all vital data required prior to installation to ensure there are no space constraints and other hassles.
The unique components that make your router table different from others in the market. The key features contribute to your knowledge in making a smart purchase rather than a meaningless one. Knowing what elements your table comes with is invaluable to maximizing productivity.
Usage and Convenience
If features and specifications provide you with an overview, this section briefs you about the router table’s user-friendliness. How easy is the installation? Can I install this tool without a lot of effort? All your questions are answered here.
That pretty much rounds up on all the information you need to prepare yourself with before purchasing your router table!