It’s a very well-known fact for any woodworkers or carpenters, that one of the most essential and primary power tools they have to carry is a best plunge router. It is one of the most versatile tools which could be used in many situations and for several purposes.
But while buying a plunge router, often users and technicians are confused about choosing a plunge router or a fixed router. Another problem consumer’s face while going for a router is that, which one among the hundreds of products in the market would suit their need the best.
Best Plunge Router 2019
Here’s a list of the best plunge routers we found on the market:
The DEWALT DWP611PK product performs at a power of 1.25 horsepower and is one of the top contenders of the best plunge routers in the market. The machine is very durable and can utilize all the power from the motor to execute even the most difficult of tasks.
The speed of this device can be varied by huge range, starting at 16,000 rotations per minute and even up to the speed of 27,000 rotations per minute. To make all the functions more visible and easier to perform, DEWALT DWP611PK comes with an additional set of led lights installed in the device. Thus, making the product very desirable.
- DEWALT DWP611PK is great for tougher tasks.
- The machine is very accurate
- It is made up of strong materials and is very durable.
- It has a great value for money
- It is rather expensive to others
- A bit complicated to handle.
PR20EVSK is one of the finest products from BOSCH among their collection of plunge routers which is a very strong and trustworthy name when we talk about machines like these. It has a modified look than a standard plunge router but equally efficient and effective as those. The machine comes with a 5.6 ampere motor with variable speed to suit the user’s requirement.
The additional offer gets the buyer extra items that the user would find to be very helpful. The tools would provide you with the best possible experience of your demands and the wood that the user would work on.
- The machine is very light weighted and comes in very handy.
- The product is quite affordable and has good value for money.
- It has the highest horsepower rating in its class.
- It has a variable speed with a range of 16,000 to 35,000 rotations per minute.
- It has a constant response service to control the speed under load conditions.
- The machine might be very difficult to set up.
- It can be quite hard to control.
B&D RP250 is one of the aptest products available in the market. It comes in with a 10-ampere motor offering only single speed. Though it may seem that the product has lesser attributes in comparison to others, sometimes concise and direct applications are required and where it outperforms several products available in the market.
It has a steady start function that results in the users getting a much more accurate work, which is often required.
- Black & Decker RP250 can be used to perform precise tasks as it is very accurate.
- This product is rather cheap and one of the best plunge routers in its price range.
- It provides much better quality than plungers those are twice or thrice more expensive than this one.
- It is very light, thus easy to carry and comes in handy.
- Black & Decker RP250 is very good for certain tasks, but not recommended for industries or heavy use.
- The product isn’t that durable compared to others in the list.
Makita RP2301FC is perhaps the most popular and trusted product in the market when it comes to plunging routers. Though it is priced a bit higher than other plunge routers in the market but is totally worth all the money spent behind it.
It provides with one of the biggest range of speed and Makita has introduced a quick release button to adjust the depth of the cuts. This is one of the most highly recommended product by the professionals and is rightfully so.
- RP2301FC is a very accurate machine to work on.
- The machine is extremely durable thus giving a lasting for a longer time.
- The device is multitasking and is very reliable.
- The motor provides a huge power output.
- The machine is very handy and easier to control than most in the market.
- It has a very low consumption of power, compared to others in its class.
- Even though it is really worth the price, it is a bit expensive compared to others.
- The machine is quite difficult to set up.
The Festool 574342 is one of the most luxurious plunge routers out there and has everything one can look for in a product like this. It performs its task with very high efficiency and excellent accuracy with the best possible finishing touch to the task it performs.
Though going for the product might be a bigger investment, but with proper returns as it is one of the most efficient, multitasking and durable device promising a long lifetime, even under heavy use.
- The OF router is very versatile and multitasking and could be used for any kind of woodwork.
- The machine is made to be very durable
- The device offers a stable and brilliant grip to handle the device while working more efficiently.
- The OF router is a very stable device which performs all its tasks accurately and provides the users with the best possible quality of work out there.
- Even though the product is exceptional, it is indeed a bit expensive and needs proper thoughts before investing in it.
- The machine can be very complex and can complicate the work for any beginners or starters.
let’s see which type of router one would require first.
What to Consider When Choosing a Plunge Router
Before deciding the type of plunge router one must go for, here are a few things that one must consider before choosing the gadget:
1. Need and Requirement of the User:
One must first assess the task they are buying the router for. Depending on the requirements one has to choose the router suiting them the best. If someone is trying to buy the product for softening sharp edges or just to cut the edges of the wood, on a smaller scale, they should opt for a trim router.
These devices are powerful and smaller to handle trimming of banding and of laminates, and can decently handle bits requiring a bit of small profiling.
The advantages that are offered by the trim routers are:
- They are compact and nicely appointed.
- These routers are quite affordable.
- It provides an easy grip for better control.
2. The Work Strength of a Plunge Router:
While using an averagely sized router, you would find them performing much better with a bigger area of base coverage than a trim router could offer. A machine with horsepower around 1.75-2.25 horsepower would offer you these advantages.
So while looking for the ideal router that would suit your need, a router that would perform all the different work or is perhaps the most versatile would be a medium sized plunge router. They are the topmost picks for multiple tasks and all-around performance for people both who treat this as a serious hobby and with professionals.
Plunge routers have a depth stop installed into it so once can stop a sequence of cuts to have a deep or a big cut-out. This also helps the user to set the tool to its most used cutting depth, without requiring measuring it again.
In the real world, a plunge router can perform any task the fixed base router does, but it has its handles and motors mounted high up on the base to initiate the motion of plunging. It has a high center of gravity which makes it a bit unstable while milling small stock or some narrow stock.
3. The Size of the Plunge Router:
One needs to choose a router of a size that would fit their purposes the best. Selecting a big or a large plunge router doesn’t imply that it better, more so if one uses the device for handheld operations than performing on a table.
Even though bigger routers are useful, until or unless one plans to use it for large profiling pieces or to raise the panels for the cabinet doors.
Big routers are more than one would ever require for usual profiling and for joint-making. The extra weight, the bigger size, and huge power could work against the user for smaller or softer works.
If the budget is permitted for the user, a plunge router of operating power of 3-3.25 horsepower will provide the router table with the gumption and is only exceeded with the shaper. So a user might want to take a step back and understand their type of work, before selecting a huge plunge router.
Router Features to Look At When Purchasing
Often there are many features that might or might not help the user with their purpose, one must consider some of the important features before going ahead and buying one.
1. Variable Speed
Any plunge router must provide the user with an option to vary speed, thus this is one of the major attributes of a plunge router. It provides the user with options to choose a different speed for performing different tasks with varied accuracy.
Smaller bits can be cut at medium to high ranges of speed and for larger bits, one must slow down the plunge router for safety reasons.
Variable speed function in a router offers the user the chance to turn the dial whichever way they prefer to have better control over their work and achieve more precise results.
2. Presence of an Electronic Feedback Circuit
Plunge routers should come with a feature of having a feedback circuit installed in it. This would boost the machine’s durability and would help to sustain the efficiency of the device.
This simply implies to measure load for countering it with a balancing output torque. Thus, when heavy cuts are made, the motor would not labor and it would not stall, thus keeping the power output more or less constant.
One would not appreciate such a feature like an electronic feedback circuit unless they have performed on a traditional router with this feature being absent. With this, one can easily focus all their attention on the cuts and the techniques and helps us to keep up the pace.
3. Soft Starts
If the function of soft start is absent from the plunge router, it would launch itself to its maximum speed at the moment we switch it on.
The noise created by this would be very displeasing and sudden power surge might make the router to jerk, while in our hands and might take a bigger bit from the chuck.
This is not at all a decent way to approach a task to perform a finer work and would rather push you away from using it.
While using a machine with a soft start, one would notice a little pause while turning it on. The router then slowly starts speeding up to their desired speed.
This protects the device from any damage or overload too. Thus this is a standard feature in all the recent plunge routers in the market along with electronic feedback circuit. It is really a desirable feature to have on your router.
4. Spindle Lock System
Normally, Plunge Routers need two wrenches to make changes to the bit. When one wrench helps to hold the motor shaft the other wrench helps us to tighten or make the collet looser.
With the help of a spindle lock, one can push the pin where spring is loaded or can engage to lock the collar, for it to keep the motor shaft in its place, thus the only wrench required is there for collet.
This makes the plunge routers a bit handier as it helps for dedicated routers where the user cannot take away the motor for getting more access to the bit. This is not a very crucial feature, but often handy while changing the bits.
5. Adjustment On The Table
More often than not in the case of woodworkers or carpenters, the router spends a lot of time lying by the table, thus new features are introduced to make them more Convenient and improve its precision.
One should purchase a router that would allow them to adjust the cutting height and depth over the table, with the help of a handle or a crack or knob. This makes the work much easier and less tiring.
Another thing the users must have in their mind before purchasing any plunge router is that to search for the router that has an extended collet over the table so that one can alter bits without having to lift the machine. The machine with modern enhancements and versions should include these features.
It is important for one to assess their need for a plunge router and the tasks they would require for it to perform, before going in and buying one. There are different aspects of a router and the buyer must go for the best plunge router according to their demands and purposes, budget and what would be economical for them and would last longer, giving a much better service.
Best Plunge Routers 2019
- DEWALT DWP611PK Variable Speed Max torque Compact Router 1.25 hp Combo Kit with added LED’s
- Bosch PR20EVSK Colt Fixed-Base Palm Grip Variable-Speed Router with an Edge Guide
- Black & Decker RP250 10-Amp 2-1/4-Inch Variable Speed Plunge Router
- Makita RP2301FC Plunge Router
- Festool 574342 OF Router
Looking for the best plunge routers? Find one that fits your budget and needs with our detailed plunge routers reviews and comparison.